The Pros and Cons of Breast Implant Revision
If you’re unhappy with your breast implants, you have options for changing them. Breast implant revision can be an effective surgery for changing your implants, revising their position, addressing complications, or fixing other things you might dislike about your results. If you’ve had breast augmentation in the past, your board-certified plastic surgeon can help you learn about your options for revision surgery. Here are some of the pros and cons to consider as you schedule your consultation.
Reasons to Consider Breast Revision Surgery
There are several reasons why you may want to consider breast implant revision surgery, including:
- Leaks or deflation. If your breast implants have ruptured, you’ll need to have them promptly replaced.
- Size. If you wish to change your breast size with different implants, you can do that in this revisional surgery.
- Capsular contracture. In some cases, you may have tightening around the scar tissue where your implants were placed. This is called capsular contracture and it can cause the implants to shift out of place.
- Weight loss/gain. If you experience weight loss or weight gain, it can cause loose skin and a change in your original results.
The Pros of Breast Implant Revision Surgery
There are several pros to breast implant revision surgery, including:
- Your breasts will have a more youthful shape.
- You choose what you want to change about your results including size, shape, or position.
- Your breast symmetry can be improved.
The Cons of Breast Implant Revision Surgery
There are a few cons to having breast implant revision surgery, including:
- You’ll need to undergo recovery again, similar to your original augmentation procedure.
- Gravity and aging will eventually alter the shape and size of the breasts, no matter what kind of implants you have.
- You will need to use the same plastic surgeon or gather your medical records to take them to your new plastic surgeon.
Am I A Good Candidate For Breast Revision?
Before you have breast implant revision surgery, you should discuss your candidacy with your board certified plastic surgeon. Make sure to discuss:
- Health. You should be in overall good health before opting for surgery.
- Size. Determine whether you want to decrease or increase the size of your breasts.
- Asymmetry. If you want to correct asymmetry, you should discuss how and to what degree.
- Smoking. If you smoke, you should quit well ahead of surgery.
- Weight. You should be at a stable and healthy weight since fluctuations can affect your results.
- Removal. If you want your implants removed, discuss your surgical procedure with your plastic surgeon.
Schedule a Consultation
Breast implant revision can be an effective way to improve or change your breast augmentation results. To meet with Dr. Golosow and learn more about your options, we invite you to contact our offices by calling or filling out our online form.