What Type of Bra Should I Wear After Breast Augmentation?
So, you have decided to undergo a breast augmentation procedure to improve the size and shape of your natural breasts, and are excited for surgery day. However, did you know that the bra that you wear after surgery can make a difference in how your final results turn out? Read on to learn more about why wearing the correct bra after surgery is important for optimal outcomes.
Your Bra Immediately After Surgery
After your breast augmentation procedure, you will wear a medical compression bra, also called a surgical bra. This bra does not contain underwires and will keep any bandages in place, protect your new breasts, restrict implant movement, and reduce swelling. This type of bra will provide more support than a regular sports bra would, helping to aid in your recovery process. Most patients will wear this surgical bra both day and night for the first few weeks following surgery. Dr. Golosow will advise you on when you can transition to a supportive sports bra.
What Makes a Good Surgical Bra?
After your procedure, it is important that you use a quality post-surgery bra for the best results. Some features that you should look for in a surgical bra include:
- No Underwire: It is important that your surgical bra does not have an underwire, as it may irritate incision sites and produce more friction. Individuals who do wear underwire bras right away may increase the risk of wound healing complications or experience more discomfort during healing.
- Front Closure: Bras with a front closure make them easy to slip on and off, which is ideal for those who just underwent surgery.
- Adjustable Straps: Straps that can be easily adjusted can help you adjust the fit of your bra so that you are comfortable.
- Breathable Material: Breathable materials such as a cotton-blend fabric are ideal for surgical bras. Since patients will be wearing these garments for the first few weeks after surgery, a breathable fabric will help to avoid rashes and irritation.
- Comfortable Fit: Surgical bras should be both comfortable and supportive to hold your new breasts in place.
When Can I Wear an Underwire Bra?
Most patients can return to wearing an underwire bra about six weeks after their breast augmentation procedure. However, never switch to wearing regular bras without first checking with your doctor!
On the flip side, it is important to avoid going braless regularly, as it may hinder the longevity of your results and lead to premature skin stretching and breast sagging. The support of a bra is needed to help you maintain your new breast augmentation results for years to come!
Contact Us Today
Are you interested in learning more about the breast augmentation procedure or have questions regarding aftercare? If so, contact board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Golosow today to schedule a consultation appointment! She understands that each patient is an individual with unique desires and expectations and aims to provide you with the highest level of professionalism and excellence.