Breast augmentation is a medical procedure that involves the use of either “fat transfer” or implants to enhance the shape and size of your breasts. This type of cosmetic surgery (also known as plastic surgery) has been very popular for many years. Women from all areas of the world have changed their lives and their appearances with breast enhancements, and the process was the leading surgery performed in the U.S. this past year.
So many women thoroughly enjoy the results of their breast augmentation, stating that they have more confidence and comfort in their own skin.
Before you choose to have this procedure done, you will want to know everything about the surgery and the breast implant recovery. You will need to know what to expect prior to the process and during the recovery process, as your recovery is important when it comes to seeing the results you want. During your consultation, Dr. Golosow can walk you through your steps as well!
Every woman’s healing time may be different, as each female’s body is different. Most women fully heal within a month and a half after their breast augmentation procedure. Some women might feel 100% back to normal after just a few weeks. Dr. Golosow can evaluate your health, and then offer you a more definite time-frame before you have your cosmetic surgery performed.
After you wake up from anesthesia, you can expect to feel sleepy and the surgical area will feel sore. You might feel the same as you would the day after using a sleeping aid, but the anesthesia effects will go away in a couple of hours. Dr. Golosow will advise you, prior to your breast surgery and recovery, that you must have someone else drive you home. Someone will need to stay with you through your first evening at home as well.
During the first 5-7 days after your breast enhancement procedure will be the days you might feel the most soreness and tenderness in and around the surgical location. There will be some swelling as well. You will be given a prescription for pain. However, most women only need this medication in the first few days.
Dr. Golosow will encourage you to take things slowly and get back to your routine with small exercises and chores. By this time, your tenderness and pain should be hardly noticeable, however, we recommend that patients do not engage in any strenuous activities for the first few weeks. Dr. Golosow does not want you to injure yourself, so you should not lift anything heavy until you completely recover. If you have a job where heavy lifting is required, we recommend taking about three weeks off of work to heal.
Dr. Golosow will want to follow up with you when you have recovered from surgery. At the follow-up appointment, she will evaluate your recovery process. Normally, after a couple of months, most women will be able to resume all normal activities at home and work. It is important to listen to all Dr. Golosow’s medical recommendations so there won’t be any problems and the implants will heal correctly.
- Buy a couple of recovery bras before surgery. The bras will help lower the pain and help you recover faster and easier. They also help stabilize the breasts and implants while you heal, and they help to improve circulation and provide slight compression to guarantee adequate lymph drainage.
- Buy bras that are made from breathable cloth, have a seamless (all-in-one) design, adaptable straps, and are comfortable. Such features in a bra are vital because your surgeon will recommend that you wear a bra (day and night) for the first couple of months after surgery
- Before your surgical procedure, it is advisable to have someone available to help with housekeeping, etc. If you do these activities without help, you will want to do all of them before your breast enhancement is done
- It is recommended that you make a meal plan (enough meals for at least five days)
- If you believe you will need pain medication, you should fill the prescription the day before your procedure
- If you have younger children, you should ask a friend or relative to help you with your children – you will not be capable of lifting your little ones for a couple of months
- Lastly, it is important to rest as much as possible, eat healthier and drink more water (water with electrolytes work best to re-hydrate the body)
- Keep in mind that smaller meals and foods that are easier to prepare will make your recovery process easier too
Once your breast implant recovery process is complete, you can enjoy your new appearance and life. Dr. Golosow is there to help you with every aspect of your surgery and the healing process. She is also there to encourage you to enjoy your life-changing surgery. You can go into the whole procedure with self-assurance; you will be capable of managing your improved profile, as well as the recovery.
Remember that your board-certified plastic surgeon is always available to answer any inquiries or concerns, during and after your breast enhancement surgery. We want you to have the best results and the best experience!